Curriculum by year
Use the links below to view the maths curriculum by year.
At SFX our students think like a mathematician by...
explaining where the new mathematical concepts come from and how they relate to the pupils' prior knowledge. We also insist on logical reasoning when pupils solve problems. This is rehearsed during Q&A discussions by asking "why?", "how?" and "what if?" as frequently as possible.
Recent research used to inform practices in maths
AQA website has proven to be a reliable resource in terms of effective delivery of KS4 knowledge. The website provides resources and sample exam questions; and also highlights common misconceptions encountered by examiners when marking specific questions from specific topics.
- CPD relating to good practice in terms of raising boys' achievement, closing SEND gaps, diagnostic questionning and effective use of recall (Kate Jones) have all been attended by the whole department
Ofsted review into mathematics
Our vision is to ensure pupils are equipped with sufficient mathematical knowledge, fluency and reasoning skills to deal with situations that influence all of our lives, including finance, statistical analysis, real-world geometry, mensuration and risk analysis.
Pupils of all abilities shall feel challenged and stimulated throughout their learning journey; and they shall develop sufficient confidence to apply their knowledge across the curriculum.
Through support and encouragement, staff shall provide pupils with the necessary tools and resilience to overcome the challenges faced when solving complex mathematical problems. In turn, pupils shall display compassion for each other by sharing their knowledge and understanding.
Whole school visions
Use the links below to view our whole school vision and curriculum vision.
- Mr P Ingram - Curriculum Lead
- Mrs J Prime - Maths Teacher
- Miss K Appleby - Maths Teacher
- Mr T Bearpark - Maths Teacher
- Mrs A Ellis - Maths Teacher
- Mr S James - Maths Teacher
- GCSE Mathematics - AQA
- Stem (Maths and Science)
- Additional Maths Qualification
- Annual Maths UKMT challenge