Ensuring children are safe online is important to everyone at St Francis Xavier School.
By educating students and keeping parents and carers informed of common concerns with the use of online services, especially social media platforms, we can reduce the risks and improve the way in which children use this tool, which now as an integral part of modern life.
Children will be online more during this period of school closure so it's even more important to talk to about keeping them safe online. We encourage parents to talk to children about their online activity, monitor their usage and encourage them to have some time away from screens each day to support their well being. Please have a look at our monthly e-safety newsletters for more information.
Top tips to keeping your child safe online
Monitor your child’s phone use – there are a variety of parental controls apps out there that allow you to keep tabs on their online activity.
Find time to talk to them about what they are doing online.
Emphasise that if children come across anything online that makes them worried, scared or uncomfortable that they should share this with you and that this should also be reported to CEOP (https://www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/). Anything illegal should be reported to 101.
Remind students about keeping their privacy settings high on social media and not accepting friend requests or messages from people they don’t know.
Remind children to not give out personal information including their passwords.
Encourage children to spend time away from their phones each day to help them relax and avoid too much exposure to the news.
Monthly Online Safety Newsletters
- Online Safety Newsletter Jan 2021 St Francis Xavier
- Online Safety Newsletter December 2020 St Francis Xavier
- Online Safety Newsletter Nov 2020 St Francis Xavier
- Online Safety Newsletter Sept 2020 St Francis Xavier
Academic Year 2019/2020
- Online Safety Newsletter June 2020 St Francis Xavier
- Online Safety Newsletter July 2020 St Francis Xavier
- Online Safety Newsletter May 2020 St Francis Xavier
- Online Safety Newsletter March 2020 St Francis Xavier
- Online Safety Newsletter April 2020 St Francis Xavier
Other Online Safety Newsletters
Academic Year 2019/2020
- Online Safety Newsletter Online Bullying
- Online Safety Newsletter Tiktok
- Online Safety Newsletter Houseparty
For more information about staying safe online please go to: