Positive mental health
At St. Francis Xavier School we want to ensure that children have positive mental health. We know that the events of the coronavirus pandemic have taken its toll on many of our families .
Form tutors and pastoral staff continue to signpost children to the support that is available for them both in school and from external agencies if they are feeling low, anxious or worried about anything. We have a dedicated email address that children or families can contact during term time to report any concerns around a child or young person – firstname.lastname@example.org
We have also teamed up with MIND, a Mental Health Charity, to provide some workshops and sessions to enhance the support of the mental health of our young people after Easter 2021. We also have a school counsellor that comes into school two days a week to support young people. This is a referral based service and is overseen by Mrs Pratt who is one of our Pastoral Leaders and Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Positive Mental Health policy
More information can be found in the positive mental health policy.
Keeping children safe online
We are also aware of the continued importance of keeping children safe online. More information on the work we do as well as newsletters for families can be found at on our online safe page.
There are also posters in each classroom to signpost children to the support they can get.
- 01 Mental health poster
- 02 Pastoral Team Structure poster 2021
- 03 Safeguarding information poster 2021
External agency support for young people
There is a good range of support available for young people and their families outside of school too which you can get in touch with if you have any concerns about your child’s wellbeing.
- Kooth offers young people in North Yorkshire free online counselling and support. Young people aged 11-18 are able to access free online counselling and emotional wellbeing support through the online service. For more information please go to their website. www.kooth.com
- Compass BUZZ - Compass BUZZ offers a confidential text messaging service to young people aged 11-18 across North Yorkshire. By texting the service on 07520 631168 a young person will be able to receive confidential advice, support and signposting from a wellbeing worker within one working day via text. For more information please go to their website. www.compass-uk.org/buzz-us
- HEALTHY MINDS - Healthy Minds in North Yorkshire’ provides a platform for young people, parents/carers and professionals for information about mental health and signposts to supporting services. www.thegoto.org.uk
- CAHMS - If you have an immediate concern about your child’s safety you can call the CAHMs (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) on 0300 013 2000 - www.northyorks.gov.uk/childrens-and-young-peoples-mental-health
- CHILDLINE – Help, support and advice on the phone or via the internet, a free private and confidential service. 0800 1111 or www.childline.org.uk
- YOUNG MINDS – Get information about a mental health condition and know what support is available to you. www.youngminds.org.uk/find-help
- MIND – Mind is a charity specialising in mental health. You can visit them online by going to https://www.mind.org.uk/